Our History

Looking Back 

A brief glimpse into Arnold Family History

  • In 1908 Albert Arnold started selling Petrol on the A30 at the junction of Lox Lane on Sherborne Causeway.
  •  Albert continued building the business over the years, with the addition in the 1920's of a Filling Station, followed by a Vehicle repair garage & Shop in the early 1930's
  • In the 1950’s Buster Arnold relocated 4 miles down the A30 to Five Bridges.


  • Following Alberts passing in the early 60s, Kevin Arnold started a Vehicle Sales & Vehicle repair business in 1967 at the Garage on the Sherborne Causeway.
  •  This then progressed in 1971 to a new workshop premises at the Arnolds Five Bridges site.

  • 1970's Shell Petroleum recognised Cecil & Eve efforts by awarding them the ShellShine Territory Winners 1974
  • 1974 also saw Kevin open a subsidary business Fairview Vehicle Services at Gibbs Marsh, Henstridge, where he ran this for 26 years.

  • Buster Arnolds retirement in 1988 saw the Five Bridges site sold.
  • 1 year later Arnolds at Sherborne Causeway also closed due to retirement, although Cecil & Eve continued to live on site up until their passing.
  • In 2000 as a 4th generation Arnold, Marcus took over Fairview Vehicle Services at the Gibbs Marsh site.
  • In 2013 the business was relocated back to the original Arnolds Garage site at Sherborne Causeway.
  • In  2021 Benjamin Arnold joined the team of directors at the company, becoming the 5th generation Arnold to continue the family legacy.

It seems fitting to return Fairview back to the original Arnolds site from the early 1900's. 


 Now the Arnold name has been around agriculture, hgv and automotive repair for over 100 years. In choosing us, you buy into that established reputation. Trusting our family name represents value for money and quality workmanship.